Many of you have probably been glued to the news coverage of the Caylee Anthony story like we have been. I think it probably hits home a little more to me because I have two sweet little girls about the same age as Caylee. My heart is seriously broken for this little girl. I look at her videos and pictures and I just can't get over how beautiful she was. It makes me so angry. I look at her Mom and as hard as I try to understand why she could do such a horrific thing, I just don't get it. What could a child have possibly done to deserve this?
But you know...I remembered something tonight. When Jeremy and I went to GA for Thanksgiving to visit his parents, his Mom and I had a conversation about a bunch of things...abortion, homosexuals and their ability to adopt, etc. She mentioned a passage in the Bible and it came back to my mind tonight. I just wanted to share it. It's Romans 1:28-32. I'm not going to write the verses out, but the specific verse she mentioned was in vs. 31 where it talks about the unsaved being "without natural affection". Now if you just read through the preceeding verses you might think it's only referring to homosexuality and how unnatural it is, but if you think about it, God is also talking about the lack of natural affection in other relationships too...like a parent-child relationship. I think this is the sad fact about Casey Anthony...she lacked the natural love that she should've had for her daughter.
Another thing that came to my mind, though, is that we are so quick to judge other people. Yes, what this mother did was HORRIBLE...and according to the Bible I believe she SHOULD get the death penalty. But if it had not been for the grace of God in my life who's to say I couldn't have done the same? That could be ME. If anything this story should serve as a reminder that we are Gods and we should be forever grateful to Him for looking down upon us, taking pity on our sinfulness and making us His children. Ephesians 1:7 ~ "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace..."
I hope God always gives me the strength to be the kind of parent I should be. It's such a struggle some days and it's so easy to convince myself that I have no life and I'm missing out on something else, but the truth is that parenting is the highest calling of all! I'm so thankful the Holy Spirit allows us to understand these things. Things that to the unsaved are foolishness. I'm so glad I'm a Christian. And I'm so glad I'm a mommy. :)
Very good thoughts. It is hard to see sometimes that my own sins are just as bad as others that seem so much more "wicked".
ReplyDeleteGood post! :) Thanks for your comment, I'm afraid I haven't been QUITE as supportive as I should have been...but I'm trying :) So will Jeremy have to leave for A school after all then?
ReplyDelete