I just wanted to share a situation that Jeremy and I encountered over the weekend. We actually laugh because it seems like over the past few months the Lord has allowed us to be put in some really weird and uncomfortable spots with people, but it's neat to see how you learn so much more about your spouse in seeing how they react. I was pretty impressed with Jeremy in this particular one.
So, Saturday night we were performing our weekend ritual of going to Target. :) It's basically my favorite store cuz I love their little girl clothes! Anyway...as we pulled into our parking spot we noticed a man get out of the car next to us. He went around to his trunk, opened it, and pulled out a box and a receipt (obviously he was returning something), and then he headed into the store. Jeremy and I started getting out of the van and at the same time we both looked over at his car and said, "HE LEFT HIS KIDS IN THE CAR!!" There in the backseat of his little four-door were two little boys (younger than our girls) sound asleep in their carseats!!! I'm pretty sure they were twins too. We seriously didn't know what to do. We turned and looked and the man was already walking into the store. Should we chase him down?? And then what do you say to him? It was very, VERY awkward. I stayed there with our girls just to keep an eye on the poor little guys, and Jeremy decided he'd go say something to him. I didn't hear their words, but Jeremy in a stern, yet polite way told the man he should NEVER, EVER leave his kids alone like that!! Not only is it dangerous, but it's very much illegal!!! The guy didn't say too much and he was only gone for about five minutes, but he's lucky we weren'y psycho kid stealers!!! It can happen so fast. I'm not saying I'm a perfect parent by any means, but some people just don't realize how dangerous it is. Not to mention the fact that every state has laws regarding leaving kids under a certain age (it varies from state to state) alone in a car. I looked it up and there is a law pending in VA that it's considered a misdemeanor and you can be fined $100. So, the moral of my story is to always make sure you take your kids with you because not only is it DANGEROUS and illegal, but it also puts others around you in a sticky situation!! :)
Oh my goodness! You would think with all the stories that come out about kids that have died in the car because they were left unattended it would strike a nerve! HELLO! Where is the common sense? Good for you and Jeremy! Someone's gotta get common sense into these people!
ReplyDeleteWow! Eric and I get so upset because we constantly see pregnant women walking around our apartment complex smoking! What are they thinking??? We've never said anything because they wouldn't listen anyway.
ReplyDeleteGood for you guys!