
I just wanted to give a big update on how things are going with Hannah and her therapy...and also just wanted to ask for prayer as Jeremy and I have some pretty huge decisions to make in the very near future. I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but the Agency we are receiving therapy from only works with kids up until age three. As you all know we are rapidly approaching the girls' 3rd birthday, so we've been discussing what the next step with be with therapy. Basically, this is what I am being told as of now (although we haven't actually had a "meeting" about all the details)...
For starters, she will be transferred over to our county school system. Our county just started a new program for kids Hannah's age this past August and instead of in-home therapy (which is what we are receiving now) this program offers a preschool program at our county elementary school. I'm not sure what the class size would be, but it would basically be preschool, and there would be therapist's that go there and work one-on-one with Hannah throughout the day. I am thrilled at the idea of a "preschool" type setting. I think that would help Hannah tremendously, and she has really shown progress with socializing (even with Savannah...it's amazing how far she's come in just the last couple months!)...but here's where it gets tricky! - This preschool program is every week, Monday 1/2 a day (like 8:30 - 11:30) and then Tuesday-Friday FULL days (8:30-2:30)!!! Yikes! The other thing that we are not cool with is that since we don't have a second vehicle, Hannah would have to ride the bus. Did you hear that???...THE BUS! Maybe I'm sounding a little dramatic, but we in are no way, shape or form OK with putting our 3 yr. old on a bus. The school is about 15 minutes away from our house from what I understand.
So...we find ourselves in quite the pickle and this is where the prayer part comes in! I
honestly feel like the most ungrateful mother out there...here our county is willing to pay for FREE developmental services and I'm saying NO WAY! This is so hard.
Now having said all that...I do want to say again that we have not had an official meeting to discuss whether or not we have other options. My first and BEST choice right now would be to continue in-home therapy. She is doing so well...she is making great progress. I just don't know if that will be an option or not. I guess time will tell.
Please pray with us for guidance. We love this kid and we do NOT want to stop therapy now. However, if this program is the only option we have...we may have to postpone therapy until we can afford a second car. We are really hoping that when we share our hearts with the coordinator she will try to work with us, even if it's just providing in-home therapy for another 6 months. We are praying hard...and trying not to stress!!!
Besides all that I just wanted to share how Hannah is doing. We have seen an amazing difference in this girl just since we've moved here. It's been such a joy to us to see her finally making more eye contact and listening when we speak to her. She is also saying at least 20 words now...some of which are ball, baby, yummy, green, yellow, blue, apple, hi, bye-bye, bubbles, huggy, juice, shhh!, mommy, and she repeats so many things we say now. :) She also loves trying to do the motions to sunday school song videos or Barney songs. We just got this Christmas Barney video the other day (don't ask me why they are already watching Christmas videos!) and she LOVES the 12 Days of Christmas and the motions. It's so funny to watch. :) We are definitely thankful that she is making progress and that other people are noticing it as much as we are. :)
Well, that's just a bit of info on how our Hannah girl is coming along. We love her so much and can't imagine life without this little munchkin. :) Thank you to all of you who pray for her. Those prayers have not gone unheard.
No comments:
Post a Comment